The 19th BHF Annual Southern African Conference CSI initiative.
The 19th BHF Annual Southern African Conference CSI initiative is aimed raising 1 million rand to assist with the sponsorship of three girls from disadvantaged communities across the SADC region to attend a two year programme at the African Leadership Academy in South Africa.
BHF is appealing to all companies, organisations and individuals to partner with it in reshaping the future of an African girl child and participate in this great initiative.
The decision to embark on this initiative was prompted by the overall conference theme – “Putting the health citizen first – pushing the boundaries of the impossible”, with a strong focus on creating access and empowering women as the custodians of health.
In line with the African proverb which says, “If we educate a boy, we educate one person. If we educate a girl, we educate a family – and a whole nation.” Educated women have a greater chance of escaping poverty, leading healthier and more productive lives, and raising the standard of living for their children, families, and communities.
The African Leadership Academy (ALA) offers a highly selective two year pre-university diploma Programme, geared at young leaders aged 16-19 from across Africa who have the potential to catalyze positive change on the continent.The Academy’s selection process ensures a gender balanced, merit based selection process that negates varying socio-economic background challenges. Over 80% of students at the Academy are from disadvantaged backgrounds. During their time at ALA, students complete a unique curriculum that includes courses in entrepreneurial leadership, african studies, writing & rhetoric, and Cambridge A-Levels.
ALA identifies young leaders from across the continent with demonstrated leadership potential, a passion for Africa, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a track record of community service. After graduating, ALA continues to cultivate these leaders throughout their lives, in university and beyond, by providing on-going leadership training, supporting their growth through access to internships and careers and connecting them to high-impact networks of people and capital that will empower them to create transformative change. To date, ALA has about 1000 young leaders from 46 African countries in its network and ALA Alumni have attracted over R1Billion ($107m) worth of University scholarships, with about 80% of them going to study in the US. Close to 70% of those who’ve graduated from University have returned to the continent with the remaining 30% staying in the US to get some short term work experience before returning or undertake Post-Graduate studies.
For information on the African Leadership Academy, please contact Frank Aswani, VP and ALA Director of Strategic Relations via email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Partner with BHF:
African Leadership Academy is a Section 18A non-profit Public Benefit Organization in the Republic of South Africa. As such, your contribution may have a tax benefit in South Africa. Upon receiving a donation, African Leadership Academy will mail a receipt and Section 18A certificate to your attention.