STAY INFORMED. HELP PREVENT THE SPREAD OF COVID-19
How well do you understand the novel coronavirus?
Did you know that the coronavirus, COVID-19, spreads very quickly from a person who has contracted the disease to others through the air, after coughing or sneezing; through close personal contact, such as when shaking hands or touching others; or by touching an object or surface on which the virus is found, then – before washing the hands – touching the mouth, nose, or eyes.
People who have contracted the novel coronavirus may take anywhere from one to 14 days to develop symptoms, which include fever, coughing and shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
There is, however, no medication available to combat the virus during the asymptomatic phase. Doctors can only treat the symptoms of COVID-19 as they present. No specific therapy has been shown to be effective against the virus itself.
You can help prevent the spread of the coronavirus with these simple steps
These simple, powerful habits, provide protection against any virus, from the coronavirus to flu viruses and many other pathogens that are common in South Africa and abroad.
- Wash your hands often, especially after direct contact with people who are ill, or after being in environments where sick people are cared for, like hospitals.
- Avoid close contact with people who have acute respiratory tract infections
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Practice cough etiquette – when you cough, maintain your distance from others. Cover your mouth and nose with clothing, or with a flexed elbow or a tissue (discard it immediately) and wash your hands immediately afterwards
- Clean and disinfect frequently-touched objects and surfaces
- Avoid eating raw or undercooked animal products. Handle raw meat, milk or animal organs with care to avoid cross-contamination with other uncooked foods.
- Do not eat the meat that comes from animals that have died of diseases.
Remember, if you feel ill and have any of the symptoms of infection with COVID-19 you must seek medical care early and share your previous travel history with your healthcare provider.
People who have contracted the novel corona virus may take anywhere from one to 14 days to develop symptoms, which include fever, coughing and shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
If you feel ill and have any of the symptoms of infection with COVID-19 you must seek medical care early and share your previous travel history with your healthcare provider.
Last but not least. Be pro-active and add your voice to the call for everyone to observe the measures implemented in our country. We should not only do this to protect ourselves from infection, we must do this to play our part in protecting others, and to give our country the best chance to flatten the curve.